Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Melt-Downs

I like to call them meltdowns.  You know, a total emotional freak out?  But, perhaps we should think of these "freak outs" in a different light.  Believe it or not, these fits are not only beneficial, but necessary for growth.  Meltdowns usually occur when things are out of balance in our lives.  Maybe we are doing too much of one thing and not enough of another.  These are reminders that you've let things get out balance and it is time to set things straight.  Instead of thinking of these fits as meltdowns, try to think of them as "tear downs".  You are tearing up something that isn't working in order to build it back up with a stronger foundation, all shiny and new.  Not only are these times reminders to check your balance meter, but they also serve as lessons.  They show you what is wrong in your life and allow you to make a new choice for the next go around.  Try to remember: You are not your problems.  Instead of feeling guilty about melt-downs, see them as opportunities for problem solving.  It is easy to get sucked into the melt-down & guilt trip loop.  Stop the loop.  You are not your problems.  You are the solver of your problems.  The important thing to remember when "tearing down" is that it is okay to tear down something that isn't working for yourself, but not okay when it "tears down" the lives of others.  So, go ahead, tear it up...and rebuild something that you will be proud of.  Don't forget: When you tear it up, you have to throw it away.  After all, you will need plenty of room for the new & improved you.

3 comments:

  1. I don't have as near as many melt downs as I used to. I've experienced too much by now. I'm much calmer. I never realized that it was because of the melt downs though. I always fely guilty, as you said, then thought I was immature or just silly. Right now, at the end of the sememster, I could definately use this type of encouragement. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your blog. I enjoyed learning about these meltdowns. Although I do not typically experience them, it seems i had one this week. Im the type of person that holds everything in until i finally just bust, thus causing my meltdown! Its nice to know that I am not the only "adult" experiencing these child like behaviors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post. I love your positive message.

    ReplyDelete